Sunday, October 31, 2010

Works in Progress

There's something very satisfying about taking what was once a beautiful piece of furniture that has fallen on hard times and restoring it to its former glory. It's time intensive, dirty work, but the final product is worth the effort - at least to me. Here are two recent projects with more planned.


I wish I had thought to photograph the sideboard when each door was in six pieces. Some time in the past, someone had tried to staple, and use duct tape and rubber cement to put the pieces together. After removing the evidence of those failed efforts, I have reassembled the doors and finished the drawers. The original hardware for the doors was missing when I found this neglected beauty. I ordered pulls that were the best match that I could find to the drawer pulls, which I believe are original.



Not pictured, is a beautiful backboard. I have a tendency to underestimate the time involved in projects. Having said that, I think that this solid oak sideboard/buffet will be ready for its new home in two weeks - about the middle of November. You'll get to see the finished product.


A labor of love...




I expected the pine, but when the final (fourth) layer of paint was removed, the walnut pulls were a wonderful surprise. One pull was missing but I was able to find a replacement that is such a close match that it's hard to tell the difference.

Knapp joint

The Knapp joint is the result of a joint making machine invented by Charles Knapp in 1867. In 1870 he sold the rights of an improved version to a group of investors in Northampton, Mass. The machine went into large-scale production in 1871 allowing a skilled cabinetmaker to vastly increase his output. The drawer joint was seldom used after 1905 - helping to date this dresser as being between 105 and 139 years old.

The dresser went to its new home this week, sure to be cherished, probably in much the same way as when it was first made so very long ago.

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your new posts. I always learn something new. Keep up the good work (all around)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I always try to do some research on the items I find, and it's fun to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those to pieces are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much. Wait until you see the oak sideboard all put together and finished!

    ReplyDelete